After you've registered, and taken the first step to Go the Distance for Autism, you are now ready to start fundraising! We want to make it fun and easy for you to raise essential dollars for our three programs. Try some (or all!) of these tips and let us know if you need more help by emailing [email protected].
Make It Personal
- Research shows that when you personalize your fundraising page with your story about your reasons for Going the Distance or even by just adding a picture of yourself or your team, your fundraising increases significantly. Tell your story briefly, be sure to use photos and remember to MAKE AN ASK for donations once your page is set up.
Involve Your Donors
- Use social media, send emails, call your friends, and print flyers to spread the word. Being connected makes donors feel the power of their support for you and for the cause. Let your donors and supporters know where you are in reaching your goal, how hard you’ve been training for the ride, and other personal milestones.
Your Company Can Help
- Start with your supervisor or human resources contact to see if they will allow you to publicize your efforts within the company.
- Other ideas include: requesting for a corporate contribution or sponsorship, asking your company to match your individual gift or every dollar you raise, and encouraging other riders from the company to form a corporate team.
Celebrate Your Donors
- Make sure to thank donors as soon as they donate to you or your team. The system automatically generates a thank you email to all donors, but a personalized message is always appreciated. We’ve created templates for you that can be accessed in your participant portal.
- Thank donors on your Facebook page with a general statement like “thank you to all my supporters for helping me Go the Distance for Autism.”
- Thank them again. And again.
Let People Know How They Can Help
- People are more likely to give when they know that the cause is important to you.
- Don’t limit your mailing list! You never know who will be interested in participating.
- Request a matching gift from your company and inform people who donate to your page that they can ask their company about a matching gift as well.
- Become a team captain and get your friends to join the efforts. More people...more power!
- Ask again...and again. The tools on your fundraising page make it easy to see who has donated and who hasn’t.
Make it simple for your supporters to donate by including your personal fundraising page link on all communications. Once you register, you can quickly and easily update your Facebook status, Instagram bio, and Tweet about your progress.
Get The Word Out